Rural Manitoba Village Development was greatly influenced when the Dominion Government took over the land from the Hudson Bay _ Northwest Companies in 1869 for $1, 500,000.00 and began surveying it into mile square sections, surrounded by permanent roads.
Dugald Road (Hwy #15) was one of the most direct routes from the east to the Red River Settlement (Winnipeg).Dugald Area was first known as “Sunnyside”. This later changed to North Plympton, when the Large Plympton School District was divided into North _ South Plympton.
Finally, the name was changed to Dugald, to avoid confusion with South Plympton and to recognize the enterprising Dugald Gillespie, Post Master.
In the early 1870’s, Dugald Gillespie bought a store located on this property, owned by Mr. A. Patterson and moved it to the other side of Dugald Road. Dugald married Elizabeth Murray in 1876. Together they added a boarding house to the store and managed the post office. Mr. _ Mrs. Gillespie raised a family of five.
Dugald became a major trading service and Community gathering centre. The Gillespie’s added a livery barn, lumber yard, cheese factory and ice house.
Others soon added to the services in the village with a slaughter house _ butcher shop by Findlay McIntosh, a second Butcher shop by Adam Cairins, who was a cattle buyer. In 1900 Mr. Hoole built a blacksmith shop on the North side of the road. In 1918, a Mr. W.R. Lynn came to Dugald to work with the Gillespie’s. He built and operated an electric generating plant to power the store, hall, telephone office, bank and other Dugald buildings with electric lights.
In 1900, Dugald Gillespie with assistance of several neighbours and their teams moved a building into the village to be used as a community hall. A stage, kitchen and hardwood floor was added in 1916, which served the village until 1966.
Mr. Thomas Percy Sr. from New Brunswick had a twelve horse power steam engine, which he used to power threshing in the fall, a saw mill in the winter and a stone mill for grinding grain into flour.
In 1905-07 the Grand Trunk Pacific (now CNR) purchases 3.3 Acres through the middle of the property for their rail line and built a station. The first train arrived in 1907. The station was dismantled in 1967.
As early as 1887, Dugald had telephone connection to Winnipeg. The few local lines were privately owned. A permanent telephone office building was built in 1916. By 1950 all telephone lines were owned by MTS. The Dugald office closed in 1966, when direct distance dialing was introduced.
The first grain elevator in Dugald was built by the Ogilvies in 1911 with Jim Gillespie, agent. A new elevator, built by Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1940, was destroyed by the fire following the Dugald Train Disaster. The current elevator was built in 1949.
In 1946 Rosie _ Mervin Rogers purchased the building on Lumsden Lane off Gillespie street, which had been a lumber yard. They had it cut in half and moved to the north side of Dugald Road to use as a snack shop, filling station and garage.
The first school house was built in 1879 and used until 1892. The building was used as a residence until 1972. A new larger school was located across the road from this site and used from 1892 to 1936. A 3 room school with grades 1-11 was built on the site where the “North Plympton Village” development is now located. It served the area until 1964 when Transcona-Springfield School Division No. 12 was formed.